NestBaby Pregnancy Ticker

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Baby


I'm not sure what to write. I'm still in shock. A little.

When we got married, I said I wanted 6 kids. That number has dwindled since having 2, but it is still in the back of my mind to have a passel of kids. (Can 3 count as a passel?) Anyway, The Spouse has been very negative about having any more than 2. Really. He has made some pretty lame comments which I will not repeat for fear of not getting past them and on to the happiness of later news.

I tried to reconcile myself to 2. At times, I was in fact quite convinced that having any more than 2 would surely upset the fragile balance of my mental state and that it would be completely irresponsible of me to do that to the world.

It probably still is.

But there is this undeniable call to motherhood that I am finding impossible to ignore. I think about it day and night. I have really tried SO HARD not to talk to The Spouse about it at all because I know it's not fair of me to pressure him. I certainly don't want a baby with anyone who doesn't want one with me. I wouldn't do that to any child. And yet, I don't think it's fair that he pressure me not to have a baby either. I've been agonizing over it for months.

Last night, after finally breaking my vow of silence on the subject because my emotions were completely bubbling over and I was compelled to give them a voice--he rolled over and said, "Fine! Let's have a kid! Now can I get some sleep?!"

...

Not exactly the response I'd been looking for, but a move in the right direction. I'll spare the details of the next half hour of figuring things out, but suffice it to say, we are going to try for another baby. And I am stoked.

3 comments:

melissabastow said...

I kind of think it's funny that men are the ones that are like, "Aah, I can't handle the kids we have, let alone any more!!" When they're not even the ones home with them all the time. Or that could just be my husband.....I think I was projecting a little there...

Shauna said...

Hey thanks for sharing! ♥ your blog!

Andi Kate, Children's Author said...

Melissa--EXACTLY. My husband says it's all in the brain--that they freak about providing for more...whatever. Once you've had one, most of the big baby expenditures are taken care of, and if your nursing, well, el cheapo!